• Oscar-winning Sophia Loren will name her 21st MSC Cruises ship
Geneva, Switzerland, May 17th 2023 – With less than one month to go, MSC Cruises unveiled today further details of the Naming Ceremony for the launch of the line’s most environmentally advanced ship to-date, MSC Euribia, which will take place on 8 June in Copenhagen, Denmark. The Scandinavian capital was chosen as the launch location for the ship due to its rich maritime heritage and dedication to sustainability. MSC Euribia is symbolic of the line’s vision for a sustainable future and a deep respect and commitment to protect and preserve the marine environment.
MSC Euribia is “Built for the future” - she is the most energy-efficient cruise ship design ever. The vessel is the second ship in MSC Cruises’ fleet to be powered by LNG, the cleanest and most efficient fuel available currently commercially at scale. She will also feature further state-of-the-art environmental technologies, including advanced onboard wastewater treatment systems, waste management handling, energy efficiency measures as well innovative underwater radiated noise management systems to reduce the potential impact on the marine environment.
AN EVENING TO REMEMBER
Celebrating the launch of this innovative new ship, MSC Cruises will invite guests for the Naming Ceremony of the latest flagship to join the fleet, bringing together local dignitaries, key travel partners, international media, and various household names, including Hollywood icon and Oscar-winning actress, Sophia Loren. Madame Loren holds a long-standing personal relationship with the line and will carry out her role as Godmother for her 21st MSC Cruises’ ship.
To host the proceedings, Sarah Grünewald, well-known Danish television host, actress and model will serve as the Master of Ceremony. Throughout the event, guests can expect a time-honoured tradition of breaking a bottle of champagne over the bow of the vessel, a beautiful gala dinner, as well as live entertainment and performances, including a special DJ set to top off the night from world-renowned French DJ and record producer, Bob Sinclar.
Following on from the event, MSC Euribia will then commence sailing in Northern Europe this summer with 7-night sailings from Kiel, Germany and Copenhagen, Denmark to the captivating Norwegian Fjords including Geiranger, Ålesund, and Flaam.
To find out more about MSC Cruises’ northern Europe itinerary options, please click here
ABOUT MSC EURIBIA
This unforgettable occasion will offer guests a first glimpse to discover more about the innovative ship’s exceptional features, amenities and rich and varied onboard experiences.
Some key highlights include:
- NEW! Experience the artwork, Street. 2023, by renowned British artist Julian Opie in l’Atelier du Voyageur bar. The artwork, commissioned specifically for MSC Euribia, is an expansive 11 x 2 m purpose-built LED screen featuring walking figures in Opie’s distinctive style.
- NEW! Located in the aft of the ship, The Carousel Lounge is reinvented with a new layout, offering even more stunning panoramic ocean views, allowing guests to relax during the day or participate in a range of leisure activities as well as enjoy a variety of live music every evening including from the Big Band at Sea - one of the largest big bands at sea.
- A revolutionary kids’ area will feature 700 sqm of interior space entirely dedicated to kids and teenagers with seven rooms, each catered to different age groups from 0 – 17 years and for the first time will include the NEW! MSC Foundation Lab - offering a brand-new kids area and programme of activities dedicated to educate children and teenagers about sustainability.
- NEW! Guest can choose between 10 dining venues which includes five speciality restaurants with the exciting brand-new Le Grill, a stylish French bistro meets steakhouse and Kaito Sushi & Robatayaki, a mainstay of MSC Cruises that features a Robatayaki for the first time.
- An impressive five pools and the ship’s very own coral theme Ocean Cay AquaPark, one of the largest and most elaborate waterparks at sea, with three water slides for endless fun.
- The 945-seat Delphi Theatre offers world-class live entertainment every evening with a full seven-day programme of big-production shows.
- The ship offers 21 bars and lounges with five outdoor and 16 indoor areas to meet the needs and preferences of all.
- Guests will have the opportunity to explore and connect at Galleria Euribia, the longest LED Dome at sea, with an array of shops, restaurants and entertainment to discover.